Mold & Disaster Restoration Services
Mold in Colorado
Mold is not as prevalent in Colorado as it is in most other states, mostly because the relative humidity is not near as high as other more humid parts of the country, yet mold is still an issue in many homes.
Why is this?
This is due in part mostly to leaks somewhere in the home, or too much moisture with improper venting in attics and crawl spaces.
How do you know if you have mold issues in the home?
The #1 way to tell if you have mold is by seeing it. It comes in different looks, but hopefully some of the pictures we have posted here will help you diagnose if you have mold.
The #2 way to tell if you have mold is having a mold inspector come do an air sample of the home. Mold can hide well on any surface where there is enough cellulose for it to thrive.
The #3 way to tell if you have mold issues is health issues such as allergies, tiredness, dizziness, trouble breathing, and many other symptoms.
Black mold from a broken pipe!
Mold on concrete behind broken pipe!
Sewage & Water Damage Restoration
Sewage cleanup is messy business, and water damage if left can cause bacterial and mold growth.
Steps to take if you have a sewage or water spill:
Step #1: Determine where the leak or spill is coming from. If you do not feel comfortable doing this, please call a plumber right away. If you are able to locate the leak and determine it is fixable, make sure you are wearing proper protective equipment before proceeding.
Step #2: The leak must be fixed or stopped before cleanup can occur. Once this is done, call a Water Damage Restoration Company to come extract the spill if it is too extensive to clean up within 24 hours. Microbes grow at an extremely fast rate, so make sure the spill is extracted and dried quickly.
Step #3: If any of the drywall or carpet is to be removed, or before any demolition or flood cuts take place, you MUST have an asbestos inspection done on the effected area.
10 Things your client should know about Mold (EPA Website)
Potential health effects and symptoms associated with mold exposures include allergic reactions, asthma and other respiratory complaints.
There is no practical way to eliminate all mold and mold spores in the indoor environment; the way to control indoor mold growth is to control moisture.
If mold is a problem in your home or school, you must clean up the mold and eliminate sources of moisture.
Fix the source of the water problem or leak to prevent mold growth.
Reduce indoor humidity (to 30-60%) to decrease mold growth by:
Venting bathrooms, dryers and other moisture-generating sources to the outside
Using air conditioners and de-humidifiers
Using exhaust fans whenever cooking, dishwashing and cleaning
Clean and dry any damp or wet building materials and furnishings within 24-48 hours to prevent mold growth.
Clean mold off hard surfaces with water and detergent, and dry completely. Absorbent materials such as ceiling tiles, that are moldy, may need to be replaced.
Prevent condensation: Reduce the potential for condensation on cold surfaces (i.e., windows, piping, exterior walls, roof, or floors) by adding insulation.
In areas where there is a perpetual moisture problem, do not install carpeting (i.e., by drinking fountains, by classroom sinks, or on concrete floors with leaks or frequent condensation).
Molds can be found almost anywhere; they can grow on virtually any substance, providing moisture is present. There are molds that can grow on wood, paper, carpet, and foods.